The No Blame approach to anxious kids
Many of the parents I see feel helpless because they try so much, but it rarely makes a permanent difference.
As a result, I have developed an online programme that adults can complete with their child. The "No Blame" approach to parenting anxious kids will use your skills and your expertise, combined with my knowledge and expertise, to help your child get over their anxiety once and for all.
Anxiety is a big word. There are an almost infinite number of things that can lead you to feeling anxious.Anxiety, as a word, or a label, tells you nothing about the why.From my experience as a therapist, I have found that there are 3 common paths that lead to a child feeling anxious (or an adult)
1. Fear of what others think. This can include feeling you are different, feeling not good enough, bullying. It can be specific to a setting, e.g school, or specific to any situation where you think you might be in the spotlight
2. Worrying about the future. This often manifests as a fear of you or someone around you getting hurt. It can also come through as separation anxiety. It's rooted in a belief that you can't trust yourself to be ok. Things like stories of the Coronavirus, planes crashing, climate change etc can make this very bad. It's a form of OCD as it's all about control
3. Fear of being sick is sometimes called Emetaphobia, SED (Selective eating disorder) or ARFID (Avoidant/Restrictive Food intake disorder) and involves behaviour where only certain foods are 'safe' to eat. Those with this tend to be very sensitive to food textures and often carry a strong fear of being around someone who is sick, including themselves.
This course is designed for 1 and 2 as number 3 often requires a very specific approach. It's just as easily changed as 1 or 2 though.
About the programme
- The course will be delivered by emails. You will get one every couple of days for the first week and just one at the start of the second week. Each email will have recorded videos, information and links to online forms to fill in as part of the tasks.
- You will work through it as a parent/carer with your child. As a parent/carer you will get the skills to help your child get past their anxiety. This is not a patch. It permanently rewires their brain. You may also experience some change yourself! Whilst there is no way that you can change everything in 2 weeks, it will act as a permanent foundation to all the changes you will experience.
- It's is neuroscience based. It's about reprogramming the subconscious rather than expecting your child to make conscious choices. So it tends to be more effective and more permanent as it does not require too much from your child to actually work.
- You will go through this programme with your child. It will deliver permanent change in a way that is tailored to their unique issues, for a one off payment. You will receive live, on going personalised support from me as you work your way through the programme.
The programme can be completed as many times as you want, with no additional cost. However you will only benefit from the live support the first time you run through it.
The programme will be running at an introductory price of £75.
The first email will always be sent on a Monday.
Email Dawn@thinkitchangeit.com to find out more or click to sign up to the programme
A simple anxiety trick
Squeeze the middle two fingers of your hand*
These two fingers are on the same nerve. It is a nerve that sends a calming signal to the brain.It can be enough to take the edge of the emotional aspect of anxiety and re-engage the brain.
*It doesn't matter which hand.
*You can squeeze your child's hand or they can do it themselves.
*If you squeeze so hard it hurts, it will cancel out the effect!